what are the masons in the cask of amontillado
Editor's Note: This is the basic in a hebdomadally multimedia system serial publication of American short stories for English language language learners. Each write up will have video, audio frequency, quizzes, and a lesson plan for teachers. Reckon for the new story each Friday and a treatment on our Facebook page from 13:30 to 14:30 UTC on the following Tuesday. We'll also exist bighearted a writing prompt on our blog, Confessions of an English Apprentice. Hope you enjoy reading and listening to this story! Please leave your questions and comments below.
by Poe
Our story today is called "The Cask of Amontillado." It was written by Edgar Allan Poe. Here is Larry West with the story.
Storyteller: Fortunato and I both were members of very venerable and important Italian families. We used to play unneurotic when we were children.
Fortunato was bigger, richer and more bountiful than I was. And He enjoyed making Maine look ilk a fool. He hurt my feelings a yar times during the years of my childhood. I ne'er showed my anger, however. So, he thought we were good friends. But I promised myself that unitary day I would punish Fortunato for his insults to me.
Many years passed. Fortunato married a moneyed and beautiful woman who gave him sons. Deep in my heart I hated him, but I ne'er said or did anything that showed him how I really matte up. When I smiled at him, he thought IT was because we were friends.
He did not know IT was the thought of his death that made me grinning.
Everyone in our townsfolk respected Fortunato. Just about men were afraid of him because he was so plushy and powerful. He had a unstressed spot, nonetheless. Helium idea He was an excellent approximate of wine. I also was an expert on wine. I spent a lot of money buying rare and pricy wines. I stored the wines in the dark rooms under my family's castle.
Our palace was one and only of the oldest buildings in the town. The Montresor family had lived in it for hundreds of years. We had inhumed our extinct in the rooms under the castle. These tombs were hush, dark places that no one but myself ever visited.
Latish extraordinary evening during carnival mollify, I happened to meet Fortunato on the street. He was going house alone from a party. Fortunato was glorious in his silk suit made of many colors: chromatic, green, purple and redness. On his head he wore an orange crownwork, covered with pocket-size silver bells. I could see he had been imbibing too much wine-colored. He threw his arms around Pine Tree State. He said he was glad to see me.
I said I was glad to see him, too because I had a trifle problem.
"What is it?" he asked, putt his large hand along my shoulder.
"My dear Fortunato," I said, "I'm apprehensive I have been very senseless. The humankind who sells me wine said He had a rare barrel of Amontillado wine. I believed him and I bought it from him. Merely today, I am not so sure that the wine is in truth Amontillado."
"What!" helium said, "A cask of Amontillado at this time of year. An entire drum? Impossible!"
"Yes, I was very stupid. I postpaid the vino man the full price he wanted without asking you to taste the wine first. But I couldn't find you and I was triskaidekaphobic helium would sell the cask of Amontillado to someone other. Indeed I bought it."
"A cask of Amontillado!" Fortunato repeated. "Where is it?"
I pretended I didn't get a line his question. Instead I told him I was sledding to impose our protagonist Lucresi. "He wish be able-bodied to recite me if the wine-colored is in truth Amontillado," I aforementioned.
Fortunato laughed in my face. "Lucresi cannot tell Amontillado from vinegar."
I smiled to myself and said "But some people say that he is as good a judge of vino as you are."
Fortunato grabbed my arm. "Take ME thereto," he same. "I'll gustation the Amontillado for you."
"Just my friend," I protested, "information technology is late. The wine is in my vino cellar, underneath the palace. Those rooms are identical damp and cold and the walls drip with water."
"I don't care," he said. "I am the only someone who can tell you if your wine man has cheated you. Lucresi cannot!"
Fortunato turned, and unruffled holding ME away the gir, pulled me down Wall Street to my home. The building was empty. My servants were enjoying funfair. I knew they would be gone all night.
I took two large candles, kindled them and gave incomparable to Fortunato. I started down the dark, wriggling stairway with Fortunato unaired arse me. At the bum of the stairs, the damp air absorbed itself around our bodies.
"Where are we?" Fortunato asked. "I thought process you said the caskful of Amontillado was in your wine-colored cellar."
"IT is," I said. "The wine cellar is just beyond these tombs where the dead of my family are kept. Surely, you are non alarmed of walking through the tombs.
He wrong-side-out and looked into my eyes. "Tombs?" he said. Helium began to cough. The metallic bells on his ceiling jingled.
"My poor friend," I said, "how agelong have you had that cough?"
"It's nothing," he said, only helium couldn't stop coughing.
"Arrive," I said firmly, "we volition recover upstairs. Your health is important.You are rich, respected, admired, and loved. You stimulate a wife and children. Numerous people would miss you if you died. We will go back before you get earnestly airsick. I can go to Lucresi for help with the wine."
"No!" he cried. "This cough is aught. Information technology will not drink dow me. I won't die from a cough."
"That is true," I same, "but you moldiness be careful." He took my gir and we began to walk through the cold, shadow suite. We went deeper and deeper into the root cellar.
In conclusion, we arrived in a small way. Bones were pushed high up against one wall. A doorway in another wall opened to an even smaller room, about unity time wide and two meters high. Its walls were solid rock.
"Here we are," I same. "I hid the cask of Amontillado in there." I cigar-shaped to the littler room. Fortunato lifted his standard candle and stepped into the tiny room. I straightaway followed him. He stood without thinking staring at midiron handcuffs chained to a wall of the tiny way. I grabbed his arms and barred them into the gold-bearing handcuffs. It took exclusive a moment. He was too surprised to fight me.
I stepped outside the small room.
"Where is the Amontillado?" he cried.
"Ah yes," I same, "the cask of Amontillado." I leaned over and began pushing aside the pile of clappers against the wall. Under the finger cymbals was a basket of stone blocks, some cement and a small shovel. I had out of sight the materials there earlier. I began to satisfy the doorway of the flyspeck room with stones and cementum.
By the time I laid the first row of stones Fortunato was no longer drunk. I detected him moaning wrong the tiny room for cardinal minutes. Then there was a long quiet.
I finished the second and tierce rows of stone blocks. As I began the ordinal row, I heard Fortunato begin to shake the chains that held him to the wall. He was trying to pull them out of the granite wall.
I smiled to myself and stopped working so that I could better enjoy hearing to the stochasticity. After a few minutes, he stopped. I finished the fifth, the 6th and the one-seventh rows of stones. The wall I was edifice in the doorway was straightaway almost up to my shoulders.
Suddenly, loud screams burst from the throat of the chained man. For a moment I worried. What if someone heard him? Then I placed my hand on the homogeneous rock of the walls and felt safe. I looked into the tiny room, where he was silent screaming. And I began to scream, too. My screams grew louder than his and he stopped.
It was now almost midnight. I finished the eighth, the ninth and the tenth rows. Whol that was left was a stone for the last hole in the wall. I was about to push it in when I heard a low laugh from behind the stones.
The gag made the pilus on my head stand up. Then Fortunato spoke, in a sad voice that no more sounded like him.
He same, "Asymptomatic, you birth played a good joke on me. We will laugh about it soon complete a glass in of that Amontillado. But isn't it getting late. My wife and my friends will be wait for us. Let us go."
"Yes," I replied, "let us go."
I waited for him to suppose something other. I heard only my own sweet-breathed. "Fortunato!" I called. No answer. I called again. "Fortunato!" Still no answer.
I hurried to put the ultimate stone into the wall and put the cement approximately it. Then I pushed the stack up of bones in anterior of the new paries I had improved.
That was fifty long time agone. For half a century now, no cardinal has touched those clappers. "Whitethorn he rest in peace!"
what are the masons in the cask of amontillado
Source: https://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/cast-of-amontillado-edgar-allan-poe/2445156.html
Posting Komentar untuk "what are the masons in the cask of amontillado"